Thursday 2 October 2014

Get my passport re-issued

Writing this to share my experience, different stages and time taken for getting my Passport re-issued. There were of lot of similar blogs and posts that helped me out when I was trying to get info and had decided to write  my own experience so that it could be of help to someone. :).
I had to get my passport re-issued because my old Passport had got damaged in rain. :(. The photo was bit blur but all other info was intact. So I had to apply for re-issue of passport and reason being damaged passport. My old passport was issued from Cochin passport office, Kerala and I have been staying in Bangalore, Karnataka for last two years. So I decided to apply for my passport from Bangalore with the address of the house I had rented. (If you have good contacts in the older address and can afford a day or two off to go and complete all procedures you can apply for re-issue from the old address. Advantage being there would be no police verification since the address is same and that way you get the passport faster).

So I went to the passport seva website (http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink) and checked the documents required for the passport re-issue application. Here you have to opt for the reason for re-issue and mine being a damaged passport I selected that and there were two options:
If Damaged, specify extent of damage
  1. Passport No. readable, Name legible and Photograph intact, and
  2. Damaged beyond recognition
To clarify I spoke to the customer representative on the toll free no. 1800-258-1800, and they told mine would be the option 1(partial damage). I wanted to confirm the same and so made a visit to passport office in Kormangala and they told me it is Partial damage and so option 1. The enquiry counter at Kormangala office is open from 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM only and is NOT open on Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday.
As for the documents I had to submit -
  1. Old Passport in original with self-attested photocopy,
  2. Affidavit stating how and where the Passport got lost/ damaged (Annexure 'L')
  3. Proof Of Present Address
  4. Proof Of Date Of Birth.
The affidavit (Annexure L) has to be got from a public notary and for me the nearest and best option was Kormangala BDA complex. You can find a lot of shops there who offers this service. They charged Rs 150 for it and it hardly takes 15-20 minutes (again depends on how crowded the shop is etc).

As for Date of Birth and Address proof you can find the list of accepted documents. I used my 10th Marklist for Proof of Birthdate and for address proof "One year statement (with transactions)/ Passbook of running bank account (Scheduled Commercial bank excluding Regional Rural banks and local area banks)".My address was updated in my HDFC bank account and I went to the branch (you can get it done from any HDFC branch, needn't be the branch where you account belongs to. Not aware of other banks) and tell them that you need one year statement inorder to submit as address proof for passport application. Also for people who haven't updated their address or did it in last few months, when the statement is taken the address will be the current updated address. So in case the address is not updated, get it updated and it will be updated usually in 5-6 working days (again can be done in any branch for HDFC Bank. not aware of other banks) and then get the one year statement. You have to also request for a cover letter. I had my net banking active and so I logged in the system there and they helped me take the print out and signed all pages and along with the cover letter, my address proof was ready.

Make sure you take 2 sets of it since when it comes to police verification they would ask again for the address proof and they don't accept the photocopy of the bank statement and cover letter. 

With all documents ready, I downloaded the application form and filled in the details and uploaded the .xml file and got ARN no. The application form is not so confusing and easy to fill. To know which police station your address fall under you can check on the passport seva website, in the link "Know your Police Station" (http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/LocatePoliceStation). Currently only few states are available and since Karnataka was one in that I had no problem. Since I had read in few blogs that at times damaged passport can't be applied under tatkal, I opted to apply under regular. In the passport office you can request the Issuing officer in Counter C (will be detailed later in the post) to issue under tatkal and there you can pay the fee..
So once the form is uploaded the next step is to get an appointment at the passport seva kendra. There are options of walkin, but I opted to get a booking since I have heard the rush for walkin is really high. When I checked to get an appointment (it was around 10 PM) the website showed that all bookings are done and to check back the next day after 6PM. So I logged in the next day (16th Feb, Saturday) around 5:40 PM and booked my appointment.

For Bangalore you have to select amongst the 2 passport seva kendras - (1) Lalbagh or (2) Sai Arcade - Opposite To Intel Office, Outer Ring Road, Devarabisanahalli, Marathahalli.
I opted for 2nd one and the available slots were on 19th Feb, Tuesday and there i quickly opted for 11:30 AM Slot. And I got the confirmation on the next page.

It is advisable to login atleast 15-20 mins earlier, since the website becomes really slow at 6PM and also select the available slot since the slots get filled really fast. 

Once the appointment is fixed, you can download the Online Application Receipt. Along with 2 print of this, I took 2 photocopies of all the documents, 1 copy self attested (just to be on the safer side).
So as per the appointment I reached the Passport Seva Kendra by 11:15 AM on 19th Feb 2013 and on asking the security he pointed me to the (not so organized, more like a group of people standing) queue for the 11:30 AM Slot. At 11:30 AM he asked us to move in and pointed to to the counters where documents are checked. There were around 6 counters, very chaotic because of the crowd. But this is the only place it is so. I stood in one the queues and this is the most entertaining place, because you get to talk with lot of people sharing their pain, experience etc. Don't get worried by hearing what people have to tell. At the counter I was asked for the documents photocopies (address proof in original since it is the bank statement and the affidavit also in original ) and the Online Application Receipt . They organized it all into a file along with a token number and asked me to proceed to a Counter A, which is inside.

The security scans your token at the entrance and then you have good waiting area with chairs and there are display boards where token numbers and the counter number is displayed. I was lucky that the moment I entered my token number was displayed along with the counter number. The counter number would be in the format AXXX (XXX - being the numbers). On moving in there are well organized bays and display boards, showing the counters. It is very easy to find your counter. At this counter your documents are verified along with original, the application checked with you for any errors and it will be corrected, remember to look good here since the photo is also taken here ;), the documents are scanned and uploaded, keep your finger nails clean because the finger prints are also collected here and this is the place where the fee is collected (cash only). Once all the process is completed here you are asked to proceed to  Counter B. 

Counter B is just after the Counter A bays and there were around 5 or 6 B counters. Here there are no chairs to wait but again display boards which will display your token number and counter number. Had to wait around 10 minutes for my turn. Here they verify all documents once again and once done  asks you to Proceed to Counter C.

Here you have few chairs and can wait there for your token number to come up on the display board. Another 15-20 minutes wait here.  Counter C is where you have the Passport issuing officer, who decides if you can be issued a passport or not. So they verify all documents and  then approves it on the system. Here you can check if your application can be made a tatkal one or not. Once it is approved they give you the final receipt, where in you can see your File No. and other details along with the police verification mode (Pre issue, Post issue, No verification). Mine was Pre-issue.

Once back to my room, I logged in and checked the status of my Passport on the website "Track Application Status"(http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/statusTracker/trackStatusInpNew). You have to enter your File no. and date of birth here. So it showed - "Pending for physical verification at ______ Police Station"

On 21st Feb, Thursday I got the call from my area Police Station, that documents for my passport verification had come and was asked to visit the station. There they gave the list of documents required and asked to submit it two working days. Documents required were -
  1. Address proof (I submitted the 2nd set of Bank Statement along with the cover letter)
  2. Age proof
  3. 3 Passport size photos
  4. Reference letter from 2 neighbours (the letter was given by the officer and I had to collect the name, address and signature only. I got one from my house owner and other from a colleague staying nearby).
  5. All documents submitted along for passport application.
On 22nd Feb, Friday I visited the station with all the documents, and followed the procedures and the verification was completed.

 By 26th Feb, Tuesday the status of my application was updated as "Police report has been submitted by ________ Police Station, Bangalore and sent to Commissioner Office, District Bangalore for review".

27th Feb, Wednesday the application status was  updated as "Police Report has been submitted by Commissioner Office, District Bangalore and passport printing is in progress"

4th March, Monday application status was updated as "Your Passport has been printed and You would receive an sms/email once the passport is dispatched."

8th March, Friday application status was updated as "Passport XXXXXXXX has been dispatched on 08/03/2013 via Speed Post Tracking Number EKXXXXXXXXXIN.". I also got a sms and email around 10:40 PM with the details.

I checked for the details on the speed post website but it didn't show any courier by that number. I expected it to get updated only on the next day and expected my Passport to be delivered on Monday.
9th March, Saturday around 2 PM the post man was at my place with the passport. He asked for a photo id and handed over the passport to me :).

I got my passport in 20 days and and in a well organized and smooth manner. That too my application was in the normal mode and not tatkal. Hats off to the new Passport Seva Kendra initiative, which has improved the efficiency and easiness to apply and get passport.  The offices are also well organised and has a really pleasant and modern look. The officers were also very helpful and friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Police clearance certificate PCC application details and status

Police clearance certificate PCC application details and status Online Passport Appointment Booking Appointment Opening Timing for Diffe...